Sunday, April 8, 2012

Actually April - How Sacrilegious Can You Be? (Lettuce Wraps Easter Dinner Edition)

I forgot Easter was in April.  But I feel like that's a pretty easy thing to do seeing as Easter is totally unpredictable.  Two of my roommates and I were talking, and we realized collectively that we never know when Easter is.  It gets to fall anytime between March and May, and there's no rhyme or reason to it.  So we came to the collective conclusion that there must be an Easter Picker and he sits in a room with a bunny and a giant calendar of the three spring months and wherever the bunny puts up camp is when the holiday is.  OR he showers once a year on Easter and so depending on how dirty he got the previous year is how he decides.  Anyway, all I'm saying is, it's weird.  And I'm realizing now that there is probably religious significance for when the date is chosen.  Please, no one be offended.  But feel free to correct this poor mislead young woman.
The whole point of that was this: It is a good thing I forgot about Easter, because I probably would have included an Easter clause saying I got the day off.  But I did not think that far ahead, so I ate completely actually today.  Dinner was divine.  I made lettuce wraps.  And I will just announce now, I don't really do recipes because I just throw things in.  So I try, but they are not what we usually think of as recipes.  Here goes:

Lettuce wraps

1. Marinate small chunks of tofu in soy sauce, lime juice, cumin, sesame oil, and honey for 30 minutes.  Or if you would like to use chicken (I did both), broil the chicken til mostly done, then cut into chunks.
2.  Cook tofu or chicken in a fry pan with sesame oil with cut red pepper and minced garlic, and onion (optional).
3.  Add sauce (I used this fancy Pad Thai sauce from Thailand - it pays to have cultural roommates) and chopped cashews.
4.  Wrap in lettuce (I used romaine and iceberg) and enjoy!  Preferably out in the grass with bare feet and no utensils.  That added a really nice touch if you ask me.

I also made Tofu "Scallops" and Coconut Curry Rice Noodles on Friday.  Here is the link for the recipe I kind of used: http://www.myrecessionkitchen.com/Site/My_Kitchen/Entries/2010/4/19_Coconut_Curry_with_Tofu_%E2%80%9CScallops%E2%80%9D.html
But I used red curry paste instead of red chili and ginger and curry powder.  And I cooked rice noodles in the curry instead of using rice.  And I never measure.  Anyway, it was pretty good.  I would probably recommend a different marinade for the tofu though.

Another favorite recently discovered foods:
 - Greek yogurt with honey, oats, and berries mixed in.
 - Hard BAKED eggs (Bake whole eggs in a cupcake tin at 325 for half an hour).  They turn out perfect!
 - Almond milk, frozen mango pineapple strawberry blend, and a banana blended.
 - Whole limes.  Call me crazy.  That's fine.  Shout out to Ben Erickson for that one.
 - Almond milk ice cream?  Thank heavens, because I was needing something chocolatey.

P.S. It was such a great Easter.  What a beautiful opportunity it is to remember what really matters.  More than Actually April and a lot more than going candy-less.





No comments:

Post a Comment